Maple Mustard Tofu
We’ve created a delicious plant-based take on our Maple Mustard Salmon, one of our most popular and enduring recipes. We've used tofu instead of salmon and the secret to making delicious tofu, is to press out all of the water before cooking and then get a nice sear on the outside. Tofu doesn't have much flavour on its own so it takes on the flavour from the dish. Infusing this tofu with a little sweetness always has our family running into the kitchen.
- Cooking time8 min
- Prep time10 min
- ServingsPortions 4
- 1 package (397 g) extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste, divided *
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons (20 mL) Dijon mustard or grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) low sodium soy sauce
- Cut tofu lengthwise into 4 pieces. Place tofu slices on a thick layer of paper towels on a small baking sheet. Place another layer of folded paper towels or a clean kitchen cloth on top of tofu and top with another baking sheet. Place a weight on the baking sheet. Let the tofu sit for at least 30 minutes. The weight will squeeze the moisture out of the block of tofu, where it will be absorbed by the paper towels. If the paper towels become fully saturated, you may need to replace them with fresh paper towels and continue pressing until the paper towels stop absorbing moisture.
- Microwave 2 tablespoons (30 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine at HIGH until melted, about 15 seconds. Stir in maple syrup, Dijon mustard and soy sauce. Pour over tofu. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes for tofu to absorb the marinade.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon (15 mL) Becel. Remove tofu from marinade, reserving marinade. Add tofu to the skillet and cook about 4 minutes on each side until golden and crisp. Remove tofu to serving dish and pour marinade into skillet. Cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Pour over tofu serve, if desired, with hot rice and vegetables.
*Becel® Gold in Quebec. To cook in the oven, Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Arrange tofu on parchment lined baking sheet. Pour maple mixture over tofu. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until hot and golden. Baking will give the tofu a softer texture than cooking in a skillet.