The 'Oat'rageous Burger
Looking for an OATstanding veggie meal that the whole family will love? Look no further than the OATrageous Burger.
- Cooking time20 min
- Prep time20 min
- ServingsPortions 6
- 6 tablespoons (90 mL) Becel with Oat Beverage margarine, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 package (227 g) seitan
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked brown rice
- 1 small raw beet, grated, about 3 tablespoons (45 mL)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) oat flour * or potato starch
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) liquid smoke
|Energy (kcal)||225 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||944 kJ|
|Protein (g)||6.4 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||45.7 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||42.8 g|
|Sugar (g)||2.1 g|
|Fibre (g)||2.9 g|
|Fat (g)||2.1 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.4 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||1.4 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.7 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.7 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||370 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.93 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||3 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||1.7 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||28 mg|
|Iron (mg)||1.21 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||303 mg|
- Heat 2 tablespoons (30 mL) Becel with Oat Beverage margarine in a large skillet. Add onion and salt and cook 4 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms and garlic, and cook 5 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Add mushroom mixture, 2 tablespoons (30 mL) Becel and remaining ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse mixture until well combined but still has texture.
- Form into 6 patties. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until ready to cook.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons (30 mL) Becel in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook burgers in 2 batches, about 4 minutes each side until browned.
- Serve burgers on buns with lettuce, tomato and your favorite burger toppings.
*To make oat flour, add heaping 1/4 cup (60 mL) rolled oats to blender or food processor and process to a powder.