All the flavours are here! When you slice into our elegant matcha cake, everyone is impressed! This dessert is a showstopper at any event.
- Cooking time12 min
- Prep time45 min
- ServingsPortions 12
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Becel® salted margarine sticks or unsalted margarine sticks, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) PLUS 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) cocoa powder, mixed with 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) warm water
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) matcha green tea powder
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chestnut puree *
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) icing sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) heavy cream
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Preheat oven 400°F (200°C). Line bottom of 11-in. x 17-in. (28-cm x 43-cm) jelly-roll pan with parchment paper. Spray with no-stick cooking spray, wiping away any excess.
- FOR DECORATIVE BATTER: Stir 1/4 cup (60 mL) Becel® sticks, ½ cup (125 mL) flour, 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar and 1 whole egg in small bowl with wire whisk until combined. Remove 3 Tbsp. (45 mL) batter and combine with cocoa powder mixture; set aside.
- Scrape remaining batter into resealable plastic bag. Cut corner of bag; pipe about 9 diagonal lines, about 1 in. (2.5 cm) apart across baking sheet. Repeat in the opposite direction to create a diamond effect. Pour chocolate batter into resealable plastic bag; cut corner of bag and pipe dots on the sides of the X's. Bake just until design is set, about 3 minutes.
- FOR MATCHA CAKE: Sift matcha green tea powder with remaining 1 cup (250 mL) flour in small bowl; set aside.
- Combine 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar, remaining ½ cup (125 mL) Becel® sticks, 7 egg yolks, and lemon juice in large bowl. Whisk until light and fluffy with wire whisk. Whisk in matcha mixture until combined; set aside.
- With electric mixer using whisk attachment, beat 7 egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Gently fold 1/3 of egg whites into matcha batter until combined. Fold in remaining egg whites, until whites are no longer visible. Gently spoon batter over set design. Bake 10 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Run metal spatula around edges of cake to loosen. Invert onto wire rack. Remove parchment, then invert onto clean kitchen towel so design is facing down on towel. Lightly dust cake with icing sugar to help prevent cake from sticking to towel. Starting at short end of cake, roll up tightly, jelly-roll style, with the design on the outside, folding towel into cake. Allow cake to cool to room temperature, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, with electric mixer using whisk attachment, beat heavy cream with remaining 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) granulated sugar. Remove from mixer and reserve.
- With same mixer, beat chestnut puree with icing sugar. Fold 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) reserved whipped cream into chestnut mixture.
- Unroll cake onto cutting board, pattern-side down. Evenly spread chestnut cream over cake, then evenly top with remaining reserved whipped cream; roll cake. Arrange cake, seam side down on serving platter. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Cut off ends before serving.
*To make your own chestnut puree: Process 5.2 oz. (150 g) roasted and peeled chestnuts with 1/2 cup (125 mL) heavy cream in food processor until smooth. Use in place of prepared chestnut puree.