Rhubarb Muffins with Walnut Streusel
We thought nothing could top our old rhubarb muffin recipe – and then we discovered walnut streusel.
- Cooking time25 min
- Prep time15 min
- Portions 16
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) ground walnuts
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/8 tsp. (5.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Becel® Original margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) 1% buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) rhubarb
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Lightly spray 12-cup muffin pan or line with cupcake liners*; set aside.
- Combine walnuts, brown sugar and 0.5 mL cinnamon in small bowl for topping; set aside.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining 5 mL cinnamon in large bowl. Make well in centre of flour mixture; set aside.
- Whisk melted Becel® Original margarine with egg. Beat in granulated sugar, then buttermilk and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb. Spoon into prepared pan. Sprinkle each muffin generously with walnut mixture.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
*use a second muffin pan to bake the remaining 4 muffins, or bake them after the first twelve are done. Fill the empty muffin pans with water for even baking. Please see nutrition information for sugar content.